Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Riding Computer-less

Over the past few weeks I’ve been riding without a computer on my bike. Here are a few things I’ve noticed.

-I’m spending more time looking around at things, old barns, cows grazing, wildlife, whatever.

-I’m noticing how demoralizing a bike computer can be sometimes. Lately, I don’t really care how fast I’m going or how far I’ve traveled. I thought this would really bug me, but no. I’m going as fast as I’m going. I’ve traveled as far as I gone.

-I’m no longer measuring myself by my last ride. I’m not trying to beat my best time to the top of Water Rock Knob. I’m just happy to be where I am riding my bike.

-I’m more mindful and in the moment. When I ride with a computer, I’m more focused on numbers and I’m usually scrolling through the data looking for my average speed or total time. Now I’m more focused on how I’m breathing and how my legs feel.

I’m not saying computers are a bad thing to have on a bike, just that lately, I’ve enjoyed not having one.

Jack

3 comments:

  1. Excellent reflection Jack, I will have to try this for my next ride... I too look at data in stead of surroundings sometimes...thusly I can be missing the spirit and freedom of riding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben. Hopefully we can do a ride together soon, if we ever get a break in this rain.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete